Chatham-Kent is easily accessible by land, water and air. Highways 401 & 40 and major Chatham-Kent roads transport visitors efficiently from one side of the community to the other. Some other forms of transportation to help you negotiate your way are provided on this page.

Picture 4

Travel Tips

Picture 5Canada’s Border Services Agency (CBSA) is located at Canadian entry points to serve visitors to Canada and Canadians.

Canada Border Services Agency officers are at the border to ensure that people entering Canada respect Canadian laws. Their goal is to facilitate the entry of legitimate travellers as quickly as possible. You will be asked for a passport and a valid Visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, a birth certificate and picture identification. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you should bring your Permanent Resident Card (i.e. Green Card) with you.

CBSA helps other government departments control the importation of goods such as firearms, ammunition, fireworks, meat and dairy products, animals, plants and plant products, firewood, fresh fruits and vegetables, and certain food and drug products. For more detailed information on controlled, restricted and prohibited goods, call the automated Canada Border Services Information Line.

In Canada, call toll free 1-800-461-9999
U.S. residents call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064
(long distance charges apply)

If you meet the age requirements of the Province of Ontario

(19 years), you are allowed to bring in either 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine, or 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 x 355 millilitres (12 ounces) cans or bottles (8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

Visitors arriving in Canada by private boat or private aircraft must report to Custom Officers upon arrival by calling 1-888-226-7277. For more information, check out their website at

Tax Rebates for Visitors

When you leave, you may be eligible for a tax refund on the goods you bought in Canada if you export them within 60 days. For more information, ask for a copy of the publication called Tax Refund for Visitors to Canada or call 1-800-66VISIT

(1-800-668-4748). Check the website for the most updated information on this program.